Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Thursday 14 April 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH MATTHEW HARFFY






I am overjoyed to announce that author Matthew Harffy features next in the series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them. Please find the full interview below (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account).

Please do share with your circle of book friends and leave me a like/comment - thank you very much.


Matthew, when did you start writing and what made you start?

In the past, I would often start stories, imagining I would write a novel, but they always petered out after four or five pages.

Then, back in 2001, I saw a documentary about Anglo-Saxon graves being studied at Bamburgh castle in Northumberland. I used to live in the area and something was sparked in me that night. I went to my PC and just started writing. From that point, it took me years to research and get enough words down, but in the end, that story became The Serpent Sword.

Tell us about your debut novel, The Serpent Sword?

I think the book blurb describes it pretty well:

BRITAIN 633 A.D.
Certain that his brother’s death is murder, young farmhand Beobrand embarks on a quest for revenge in war-torn Northumbria. When he witnesses barbaric acts at the hands of warriors he considers his friends, Beobrand questions his chosen path and vows to bring the men to justice.
Relentless in pursuit of his enemies, Beobrand faces challenges that change him irrevocably. Just as a great sword is forged by beating together rods of iron, so his adversities transform him from a farm boy to a man who stands strong in the clamour and gore of the shieldwall.
As he closes in on his kin’s slayer and the bodies begin to pile up, can Beobrand mete out the vengeance he craves without sacrificing his own honour … or even his soul?





Yes, it certainly captures the feel. I feel when I release a new story it appears quite daunting to think up - to summarise the story for fear of not doing it justice or to put people off.
Where does the main character of Beobrand come from? Is he all you? :)

That’s an interesting question. Beobrand is not a perfect man, and I realized after writing The Serpent Sword, that his story has some echoes of my own transition from youth to man. There were moments when I was faced with decisions that were to define who I would become as a man. I got mixed up with some unsavoury characters in my late teens, and whilst I didn’t go through such atrocious situations as Beobrand, I did have to make the choice to step away and walk on a better path.
Beobrand is purely fictional, but I think he is the idealized man I would hope to be if I was in his shoes.

So what's next in store for him in the second book of the Bernicia Chronicles, The Cross and the Curse?

In The Cross and the Curse, Beobrand finds new success and fame as a warrior. He is given land and fortune and hopes to settle down. But peace is a distant dream for our hero and he is soon beset by enemies both old and new. There are battles, betrayals, love, death, the clash of religions and the burning desire for vengeance over those who do him wrong.




What are you working on now?

I’m working on the edits of the third novel in the Bernicia Chronicles, BY BLOOD AND BLADE. That should be out this summer.

Any future projects?

I am also currently writing the first draft of a standalone prequel to the Bernicia Chronicles called KIN OF CAIN.

After that, I’ll begin work on the fourth novel.

Who is your favourite character of your books and why?

I can’t answer that! They’re all great!

May I ask in your designs to become a traditional author, have you been rejected? If so, how did you overcome the rejection?

Of course I’ve been rejected! What author hasn’t? I’ve been rejected by agents before finding one who liked my work enough to sign a contract with me. And then I’ve been rejected by all the major publishing houses! At least I know The Beatles and J.K. Rowling got a lot of rejections too, so there is always hope!

It depends on the individual's durability in overcoming rejection. A rejection is a direct sword blade to the heart of the time, effort and love that the writer has for their work. Any rejection is disappointing and disheartening.
So how to deal with the rejections?

I don’t know… just grin and bear it and keep doing what I know is right. I write what I would like to read. Many people seem to agree, so I can be happy with that.

Where can readers find your books?

The ebooks are exclusive to Amazon, but anyone can download them to their PC, tablet or phone, even if they do not have a Kindle device, using the free Kindle app. The paperbacks are on sale there too, and can be found on other online retailers, such as The Book Depository (that offers free shipping worldwide), or can be ordered from any good bricks and mortar bookshop.

Where does your love of early British history come from?

I am not sure I would say I have a love for early British history! I do have a love for a time that is undergoing rapid, often violent change. Britain in the seventh century is a maelstrom of races and religions competing for power – a perfect backdrop for exciting stories!

Have you visited any of the places that you write about?

Yes. I lived in Northumberland for a few years a child, and have returned a couple of times since. I have stood on the cliffs overlooking the North Sea while the sea birds wheel in the windswept sky. I have stood surrounded by the Cheviot Hills in the open field where the great hall of Gefrin would once have loomed over smaller huts and houses of the royal settlement. I have walked in the footsteps of Bishop Aidan and the monks on Lindisfarne and the Farne Islands. Northumberland is a magical place, and I think my love for the area comes through in my writing.

Which authors have enthralled you?

To name a few, J.R.R. Tolkien, David Gemmell, Bernard Cornwell, Robert Holdstock, Justin Hill, Robert Lautner, Larry McMurtry, Conn Iggulden, Stephen King, and so many others!

What writer or book has had the biggest influence on your work?

I think it would have to be the great Bernard Cornwell, but there is a lot of Larry McMurtry in there too, I think.

Where do you read mostly?

In bed, on trains, buses or planes if I’m travelling, and on the toilet! Well, you asked!

How many books do you read a month, would you say?

Not many. I’m a slow reader and my time is taken up with writing, work and life in general. I probably read about one a month, more if I really get into a book.

Where do you do your writing?

Wherever I can! I am writing this on my lunch break in a café. I write at home, in the back of my parked car while waiting for my daughter to finish her dance class, in the library, trains, planes, anywhere!

How many hours a day do you write?

Very rarely do I write for more than an hour at a time, and not every day.

Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

No. Write what you want to read, and then make sure you learn enough about it to make it good.
What challenges do you face when writing? Are you easily distracted?

Not having enough time. I would answer the second question, but I just found an interesting video on Facebook…

What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

Best thing – connecting with people who have read my books and enjoyed them!
Worst thing – how long it takes to write a novel!

How do you market your books?

The usual – Facebook, Twitter, a blog, mailing lists, on history groups on Facebook, etc.

What do you like doing when you aren't researching/writing?

Until recently I sang in a rock band, but I was struggling to find the time for everything. I like going out with my family and friends to eat good food, going to the cinema, reading, visiting interesting places.

Have you attended any writing courses or conventions, if so, what are your thoughts?

No. I will be attending my first big event later this year – the Historical Novel Society 2016 Conference in Oxford, where I will be speaking on a panel!

What advice can you give to other writers?

Like Nike says – just do it!

Thanks for the questions. It’s been fun answering them.

Thank you Matthew, please find links below to his website, books and other social media.


www.matthewharffy.com
https://twitter.com/MatthewHarffy
https://www.facebook.com/MatthewHarffyAuthor
Buy The Serpent Sword: http://getbook.at/TheSerpentSword
Buy The Cross and the Curse: http://getbook.at/CROSSandCURSE

No comments:

Post a Comment