Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Saturday 14 May 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH LAURETTA AND MICHAEL KEHOE

 
 
 
 
 
I am delighted to announce that Lauretta and Michael Kehoe, authors of A Dream of Dragons, feature here today!

As you may be aware I asked authors if they would like to appear in a series to find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them.
 
Please find the full interview below:

 
What started the interest to write?

Lauretta: I have always been a creative person.  My goal in life for a long time was to be a commercial artist.  But I have been writing stories for many years, publishing my own fan stories in the 1980s.  But recently, Michael and I have decided it is time to pursue our dreams so I decided to write a book and he has launched his career as an actor.

Michael: As an actor and comedian I have always had a creative side which I’ve had since childhood.  I have been writing my stand-up monologues since my early teens along with poetry and short stories.  My wife had me read her novel once she had finished and I couldn’t help but add a few laughs and suggestions.  Turns out we make a heck of a good team in writing as well as everything else.
 
Tell us about your first novel?
 
Lauretta: A Dream of Dragons is an urban fantasy with a faith based message. 
 
“Free-lance artist, Henry Williford was resigned to the single life. When he discovers a naked, helpless woman on a Florida beach, his life changes forever. He names her Anne and is amazed at how quickly she learns to become a woman. Their days are filled with joy and discovery, as together they seek to find the answers to Anne's elusive past, while their nights are plagued by dreams of golden dragons that soon become nightmares of black dragons, fire and death. When a forgotten enemy resurfaces and threatens to take the life of her new love, Anne learns of her amazing origin, but is faced with a terrible choice.” 
 
It is dark and intense but with a wonderful message of love.
 
Michael: Naked woman on the beach sounds cliché I know but trust me this is different from anything you have ever read before.  Besides, the sibling rivalry between the main character and his sister will make you laugh.
 
Are you self-published or traditional?

Lauretta: We are being published through Tate Publishing, a mainline publisher but one that requires that we pay a fee for a publicist and Tate pays all the costs to produce the book.  Tate has a very aggressive marketing machine that will help us to get the book out where we could not as a self-published author.

So why Tate Publishing?
 
Lauretta: Yes, we signed with Tate because of the ability to utilize their marketing. After the frustration of repeated rejections or no answers from agents, I then sent the manuscript directly to publishers.  Six publishers were interested in publishing the book but we felt that Tate had the most to offer. 

Your chosen genre is Urban fantasy - what draws you to it? 
 
Lauretta: I can put myself into the shoes of the characters yet be able to explore fantastic settings, people and events.

How many books have you written?
 
We have two more books that will follow A Dream of Dragons.  The second novel will take our characters, Henry, Anne and Heidi, to a planet where there is no sin. When something happens that exposes the world to sin, our heroes will be the catalyst to bring these broken people to the Great Creator. The third book deals with alien abduction and forgiveness.

Who is your favourite character of your books?

Lauretta: It is hard to decide between Henry and Anne.  Henry is everything we are as weak humans who don’t always to what we should.  Michael provided a lot of the thought process for Henry.  Anne is just such a wonderful character with her innocent outlook on a new world and her willingness to give herself totally to love.

Michael: Without a doubt my favourite character in the book is Heidi.  I had so much fun tormenting Henry and as it turns out Henry can give as good as he gets.

What challenges do you face when writing?

Lauretta: Time. That is our biggest challenge.  That and working in an alien world, we are finding it more difficult to build the world, the scenery, flora, animal and even the specifics of the people.  It is something we have not done before.

Michael: The biggest challenge for this novel was taking my wife’s original manuscript and adding to it without rewriting the entire book.  In general I have to be in the right creative mood to write or I end up just producing and not writing.

Who do you act out the scenes in your novels with?

Lauretta: That’s easy! With each other!

Michael: What she said.

What is your favourite thing you've written and why? 
 
Lauretta: I think the favourite scene I’ve written is the climax of the story where our characters learn what sacrifice is.  It was also the most difficult as far as emotional scene to write but it is compelling and rich.

Where do you do your writing?

Lauretta: I initially wrote the story at my work during down times.  Now I write in our family room where we have my computer set up.  Michael likes to sit on our couch with his laptop and write.
 
Michael: Currently I write in my recliner in the early morning hours when it’s nice and quiet and I’m fresh.  I’ve always been an early riser, I am however getting a chair for my desk in my office/studio (right now I use it primarily to practice my singing) and hope to write there as well.
 
How many hours a day on average do you spend writing?

Lauretta: Not enough!  That goes back to time management.  We don’t have set hours – something we need to work on.

Michael: Depends on the day and how creative my brain is for that moment.  I do not try to force it but am becoming more disciplined in setting time aside.
 
How do you structure each story - do you start with an outline, plot each chapter as you go or just write and see where it flows?

Lauretta: When I started each story, I had an idea as to the final act but let the story write itself.  But when you are working with a co-author, an outline becomes a necessity to make sure that our ideas work together.

Michael: At heart I’m definitely a pantser, writing when inspiration hits and going with the flow.  However working with my wife I need to get a background and have notes so I can remain consistent with her original story and not muck it up.

Where do you market your work?

Lauretta: Haven’t started marketing yet but we will be using social media, radio and television ads and different events that are set up by Tate.
 
Michael: Right now I carry bookmarks with me and share with everyone I meet.  I plan on booking as many engagements the publisher can arrange for me and promote the heck out of our book. Still in the learning stage on that one.

What social media platforms do you use?
 

What has surprised you most about writing?

Lauretta: What really surprised me was the togetherness that writing with your spouse brings.  It has drawn us closer together as a couple and as partners.  And I am thrilled to see how brilliant Michael is.  It is his creativity that has also prompted his comedy acts. But he really is an intelligent man.

Michael: Twenty four years together and she just now figured all that out, I find that surprising.
 
How much do you feel you've evolved creatively?

Lauretta: Oh, tremendously! And not only evolving creatively but doing it the right way but taking classes with Jerry Jenkins through his online guild, Jerrysguild.com.  We have also been lucky to have several published authors help us in bringing “A Dream of Dragons” to life, authors like Chris Harold Stevenson, M.A.R. Unger, Shawn Brink and Jeff W. Horton.  We are excited to see what happens with the next books with the increased knowledge we’ve gained through these sources.

Michael: Not so much evolved as I am motivated.  I think what really keeps people from pursuing any passion they have is themselves.  I just had to get out of my own way and commit to doing it.  Believe in yourself and don’t ever let anyone talk you out of doing what you love, especially yourself.

Who designs your book jackets?
 
Lauretta: The beautiful cover was done by Tate.

Michael: We told them what we wanted and they nailed it on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Who proof-reads your work? Who is your editor?
 
Lauretta: We have had the work edited by Chris Stevenson, M.A.R. Unger and Shawn Brink.  I had several friends proof-read the book, most notably Maxime Laboy.  In addition, Tate provides editorial services and I did quite a bit of proof-reading on my own.

Have you attended any literary events? Writer's workshops?
 
Lauretta: We went to Rock & Read Las Vegas as volunteers a few months ago and we’re planning to attend Realm Makers in Pennsylvania in July. We’ll have to see what events come up as far as time and finances and what Tate has in store.

What do you think makes good writing? What do you think the secret to success is?
 
Lauretta: What makes good writing is making the reader care about the main characters.  They must relate, live in their skins, feel what the hero is feeling.  If you do not lock the reader in with the emotional arc of your character, they won’t care what happens.  The secret to success is making your characters alive.

Which authors do you idolise? 
 
Lauretta: Well I have been a fan of JRR Tolkien since the 70’s.  I have also been influenced a lot by Ted Dekker.  I like that he is not afraid to dip into the dark with a Christian viewpoint.  Then there is Diana Gabaldon and the late Roger Zelazny, both of whom I have admired.  I must also include Jerry Jenkins, not only for his Left Behind series but his generosity in helping other authors.  I have to say that I am encouraged by the new authors I have discovered, some Indie others traditional, many of whom I have featured on our own author interviews.  I am excited to see where they go.

And what book has had the biggest influence on your work?
 
Lauretta: There are several authors that I admire that have influenced our work.  Diana Gabaldon wrote about why such terrible things happen to Jamie and Claire in “Outlander”  – that it was a way for each to show how much they love the other.  We have brought that into Dream of Dragons so that Henry and Anne must also be willing to give all to the one they love.  Also, I was deeply touched by Ted Dekker’s “When Heaven Weeps.”  Again, the willingness of the main characters to give all for the other is a strong theme that touched me.

What's your favourite character archetype of literature? 
 
Lauretta: I would have to say fallible people who are willing to do extraordinary things for others – even if it means to die for another.  Christ says “there is no greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for a friend”.  That theme echoes through our stories.

And lastly, what advice can you give to other writers?
 
Lauretta: Start. Don’t wait for something, don’t worry about how good you are. Just start writing and see what happened. You never know where it’s going to go.

Michael: I couldn’t agree more, just get it written. Think of it as moulding a piece of clay, you can work it, edit it, shape it afterwards but you have to write it first.
 
Thank you both so much for agreeing to feature on the Spotlight series and sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment