Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Tuesday 10 May 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH SAMANTHA FORD

 
 
 
 
 
I am very pleased to announce that author Samantha Ford features next in the series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them. Please find the full interview below:
 
 
What started the interest to write?

I’ve always loved to write and decided to start my first novel whilst I was looking after a huge heap on the Tanzanian border.

Tell us about your first novel?

My first novel, The Zanzibar Affair, is about a letter found in an old chest on the island of Zanzibar which reveals the secret of why a woman, with a glamorous but anguised past, suddenly disappeared. Her daughter meets the man who has always loved her mother but who he hasn’t seen for eighteen years. Together they piece together the last years of her mother’s life and his extraordinary connection it. The story moves from New York City to Cape Town and France.
 
Are you self-published or traditional?

Sadly I am self published.

Do you have a literary agent?

Sadly no. I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

What genre do you write and what draws you to it?

I like to appeal to the more sophisticated read and I write the sort of stories I would like to read. I like stories, sagas if you like, that span a couple of generations and have an unexpected twist at the end, the sort of ending that makes you sit up straight and want to read the story again and wonder how you missed all the clues!

How many books have you written?

I have written three novels and ten short stories.

Who is your favourite character of your books?

In The Zanzibar Affair my favourite character was Tom who never gave up on the woman he loved. In my latest book I like the gentle old retainer, the custodian of all the secrets of the abandoned house, and Tika the elephant the family adopted as a calf.

What challenges do you face when writing?

The biggest challenge is trying to write a story with appeal. All three of my books are set in Africa where I lived for many years, and much as I love it, it might not appeal to everyone, but having said that most people can only dream of going on safari, I like to think I make that dream come true by taking the reader into the bush. You have to write about what you know and I know East and Southern Africa, and the safari business, better than most.

What is your favourite thing you've written and why?

My favourite story is the one I have just finished called The House Called Mbabati. I must have read it fifty times during the editing stage and I still can’t believe it makes me cry in parts!

Where do you do your writing?

I write anywhere and everywhere. I always have a notebook with me and can be found scribbling copious notes in some pretty odd places.

How do you structure each story - do you start with an outline, plot each chapter as you go or just write and see where it flows?

I just let rip with the story and tidy it all up later.

Where do you market your work?

I’m not very good at this! I have a large network of friends and I use Facebook – more work needed here I know.

Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

I think an author needs to be very wary of the publishing world, there are a lot of sharks out there just waiting to take your money. I wrote a story about it….

What has surprised you most about writing?

The thing that amazes me is how many truly bad books are taken on by traditional publishers. Writing a novel is not difficult for me but trying to find an agent or published is not for the faint hearted – you need nerves of steel and deep faith in yourself as a writer.

How much do you feel you've evolved creatively?

I have evolved a lot as a writer, I feel more confident now with three books done and dusted. My story lines are much stronger, my characters more emotionally charged, but I do steer clear of too much technology in the story – I stick with what I know – wild animals and unpredictable plots and characters.

Who designs your book jackets?

I do this. I have very strong ideas about how I want the book to look.

Who proof-reads your work? Do you have an editor?

I normally edit, edit, edit and proof read my manuscripts myself until they are as polished as I can possibly make them, then I pay to have them professionally edited. It has been quite an expensive exercise but one that I feel is crucial and a good investment. Editors pick up things that seem obvious to the author but perhaps not to the reader.

Have you attended any literary events? Writer's workshops?

Yes. I attended a writing course in Spain a year or so ago with one of my most favourite authors of all time – John Gordon Davis, who was a much loved author in Southern Africa.
 
It was more about actually getting to meet him than improving my writing skills!

What do you think makes good writing? What do you think the secret to success is?

Passion for your subject and your characters, and the ability to make them jump off the page.

Which authors do you idolise?

John Gordon Davis, of course! I also like Deon Meyer, a South African author, and Daniel Silva.
And what book has had the biggest influence on your work?

By John Gordon Davis called Hold My Hand I’m Dying. I read it over thirty years ago and it was so well crafted, so well written, that even today I can remember the names of all the characters.

And lastly, what advice can you give to other writers?

No matter how many rejections you get – never give up. Do it for yourself. Writing gives me the unique opportunity to create a world of my own, away from the troubled world we are confronted with every day by the media. It’s pure escapism and can be hugely satisfying. You can create characters that you love and would like to meet in real life, and as for the characters you don’t like in your story – well you can just kill them off!
 
 
Thank you so much for agreeing to feature on the Spotlight series and sharing your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. Couldn't agree more. Keep doing it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete