Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Monday 1 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH MARGARET EVANS PORTER

original publication 26/01/16



I am delighted to announce that the very lovely Margaret Evans Porter is the first author of my new series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear on a series of *interviews* as part of my author spotlight series. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, likes/dislikes and learn a little more about them. I find writing incredibly lonely, but knowing there are other people out there (who are far better at their craft than I am) gives me inspiration to continue writing.

Margaret's recent novel ‘A Pledge of Better Times’ has had wonderful reviews. Here’s what she had to say about her writing success, who influenced her and her advice to other writers (starting out like me).

Please find the full interview here (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + accounts) and do share with your circle of book friends - thank you:


Tell us about your first novel? When did you start writing and why?

I've been making up stories in my head ever since I can remember, and I probably began writing my first novel when I was about 10 years old. I also adapted favourite stories into plays. I got more serious about writing novels when in graduate school. My first novel was published when I was in my 20s.

Are you self-published or traditional?

Most of my novels have been published by New York publishers, but I have also been published by small press. I have self-published my some of my backlist as Ebooks, and one original novella.

How many books have you written? Inform us of them.

Twelve novels, two novellas. My most recent one is A Pledge of Better Times, historical biographical fiction set in the Stuart royal court of England in the 17th century. It required extensive research, a great deal of travel, and I've been so gratified by the reviews received thus far.

What are you working on now?

Another historical biographical project involving celebrated and obscure theatrical performers of the 18th century. The research is completed, I am now writing the novel.

Any future projects?

Another historical biographical novel. I have done a bit of research. Also, a contemporary novel is very nearly completed, and a planned travel memoir is outlined. I expect I'll write a nonfiction biography eventually--I have identified the subject.

Who is your favourite character of your books and why?

That is a very difficult question. At the moment it's Diana, 1st Duchess of St Albans, the female protagonist of A Pledge of Better Times. I felt a close connection on seeing her portrait at Hampton Court Palace, and the quest to learn more about her resulted in many amazing discoveries and some of my best work.

Where can readers find your books?

Online retailers, and on the shelves of some bookshops or special order.

Which authors have enthralled you?

It's a long list. Diana Norman. Nancy Mitford. PG Wodehouse. EF Benson. Thomas Hardy. Jane Austen. The Brontes. Charles Dickens. Norah Lofts. Daphne du Maurier. Hilary Mantel. Edith Wharton. Harper Lee. John Mortimer. Fannie Flagg.

What writer or book has had the biggest influence on your work?

I read Anya Seton's Katherine at a young age, and immediately fell in love with historical fiction about real persons who lived in the past. Daphne du Maurier was another huge influence.

What book are you currently reading? Why that one and what it's about?

My current nonfiction reading is Inside a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz, because I like to learn about the animals I live with, and I've got two very interesting dogs. For fiction, I have just finished Daisy Goodwin's The Fortune Hunter, set in late Victorian England. As I write novels set in the 17th and 18th centuries, it's nice to venture deep into the 19th century for a change of pace!

Where do you read mostly?

I read on a sofa in my library/sitting room, with my dogs lying beside me. Or on the screened porch at our lake cottage. And of course, in bed before going to sleep.

How many books do you read a month, would you say?

It really depends where I am within my own work. On completing certain phases of a writing project, I like to step away and read things by other people. I can read 2 or 3 books in a week, if I'm on break from writing. Probably I average 3 books in a month on average.

Where do you do your writing?

For novels I write on my a laptop, comfortably seated on a sofa or in a chair. For nonfiction articles on history and writing, or blog posts, I might work at the desktop or the laptop, depending on my mood.

How many hours a day do you write?

Writing time varies. I always hope to sustain 4 hours of writing time. It might or might not include actual composition, it might or might not involve researching as well. I might exceed 4 hours by a lot, or barely make it. As well, I don't write every single day. For me, it is important to have a rich life filled with experience in addition to what occurs inside my head and on the page!

Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

Not in the sense that the writer is required to experience whatever he or she is writing about, because the imagination is the writer's greatest gift. But yes, in the sense that one knows what one has learnt, what one has researched, what one knows to be authentic to the characters created or the period and circumstances being written about or the invented universe that is imagined. There are many sorts of knowledge!

What challenges do you face when writing? Are you easily distracted?

Time management is a challenge for most authors, I suspect. But writing is essentially my only occupation, so I'm blessed with a wealth of time to use wisely or to waste. I can be very easily distracted, but whether or not to give in to the distraction is my choice. I can be very, very disciplined when I need to be. But as I've said, I want to live a whole, full life. I decide when it's healthy for me to step away from the keyboard, and when to ignore the distractions and delay the gratification, and carry on.

As an author are you self-employed or do you have another job?

Writing is my only job. I do a significant amount of volunteer work.

What has surprised you most about writing?

It doesn't get easier. But I get better at it.

What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

Reaching readers, giving them a memorable reading experience, is the best thing. The worst, for me, is the length of time it takes to finish a book.

What is the most exciting experience you've had as a result of writing?

Meeting real-life descendants of the characters in my latest novel, or being contacted by them, and their gratifying response to the depiction of their ancestors.

What do you like doing when you aren't writing?

Reading. Gardening. Travelling. Playing my mandolin. Taking my dogs on walks.

Do you watch TV? If so, what programmes?

I watch lots of television, probably too much! A few sitcoms. A few dramas. Fargo. Mad Men. Made-for-tv films. Serials--Grantchester, Broadchurch. Dramatisations of favourite novels such as Wolf Hall. History programmes. Chat shows.

Your favourite films?

84 Charing Cross Road. Local Hero. Some, but not all, of the Jane Austen adaptations. Groundhog Day. Withnail and I. Philomena. The Player. Animal House.

Do you own an e-reader?

Two of them.

What's your favourite season and why?

Whenever my roses are at peak bloom--June. Early summer is wonderful at the lake cottage as well.

If you could have any meal, what would it be and why?

How fascinating it would be to attend one of the 17th century royal coronation feasts I've written about. The numbers of dishes and range of food items is simply mind-boggling. I'd love to see it for myself, and taste some things--but not all!

What advice can you give to other writers?

Continue writing, continue reading. Learn to love the revision process--for me, that's where the real magic happens. Acquire as much objectivity about your own work as possible. Don't follow trends, write what gives you joy and ignites your enthusiasm--the best way to engage your future readers. Be patient. Be persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment