Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Wednesday 17 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH SHARON JOHNSON





I am delighted to announce that author and poet Sharon Johnson features next in the series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them.

Please find the full interview below (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account).

Please do share with your circle of book friends and leave me a like/comment - thank you.



Tell us about your first novel? When did you start writing?

My first novel is called “The Chat Room” it took 18 months to write and a lifetime to find. It started with a simple 2-3 page idea about a woman named Sarah who comes across a website called ‘The Chat Room.’ While looking at various blogs, she discovers one written about kissing, by a man named DJ. She’s intrigued and decides to write to him. She learns the woman he shared the kiss with is his wife, who died tragically in a car accident three years earlier, leaving him to raise their 7 year son on his own. Over the course of a couple of months, they write back and forth and a share something very special, until one day, when he disappears. She’s devastated. On a planned trip, three weeks later, she visits her family. While there, she rediscovers Matt, the boy she grew up with and dated for a time. They start a long distance romance and before long, she’s falling for him. A couple of months later, on a hunch, she checks the Chat Room site, just to see if DJ has written anything new. He comes back to The Chat Room and explains why he left so abruptly and he has a very good reason. He also tells her how much he’s missed her while he was away and he wants to be with her. Now she’s faced with a choice, does she choose the man who she felt and immediate connection to and whose words have burrowed themselves deeply into her heart, but also broke her heart? Or does she choose Matt, the man who she’s fallen for and who was there to pick up the pieces? This is a love story, not a traditional romance that you’d typically read and it’s a standalone novel and five star read.

I was six years old when I wrote my first poem and never looked back.

And are you self-published or traditional?

I’m self published.

I love that I have total control and, as soon as my books are ready, I can publish whenever I choose. I have an amazing friend and PA, Julie Beckford, who helps me plan all my book release events, as well as keep my schedule organized for author takeovers, makes me teasers and banners and has designed my last two covers. She was a huge help on Second Chance Love, giving me feedback. It’s the follow-up to Chat, and will be released on February 27th.

Fantastic, Sharon. So how many books have you written so far?

I’ve written 4 so far. “The Chat Room”, “Poetry of The Heart”, a collection of 25 short stories, all ending with a perfect moment, “Life isn’t perfect, but moments can be.
 “The Eclectic Poet & Friends”, it’s a book of some of my poetry I’ve written, featuring 7 masterful poets and friends, Elias Raven, Suzzana C Ryan, Cary Gregory, T Lee Hunt, Deanna Powers, Ryan Baird and Erotica poet Mark D Davis. It will be release this Saturday, January 30th  

and “His Second Chance Love” releasing on February 27th

What are you working on right now?

I’m working on my 5th book called, “Shawn’s Love Story”. It’s about the best friend of Sarah, from The Chat Room. By bringing her story to life, it not only allows the reader to experience another taste of a character they loved, it’s also another chance for them to see what’s happens years later, to the characters from “The Chat Room” A final epilogue for any last remaining questions the reader might have about their lives and what happened after both books were done.

Future projects?

My future plans include, writing a collaborative poetry with Ryan Baird, my partner in rhyme (as he calls me). Lol I’m also a guest poet in author T Lee Hunt’s poetry book, as well as writing more poetry books, since poetry has become my first love and I write it daily. I also plan to continue writing more novels as well. I’m fortunate to have a following on Facebook that follow my poetry and has continued to grow weekly.

https://www.facebook.com/Sharon-Johnson-Author-Poet-1675818972688542/

Who is your favorite character of your books and why?

My favorite character is Matt. When I first started writing Chat, I planned on writing just enough about him, for people to see him as Sarah’s other choice, but not a lot of depth. But as time went on, I realized Matt needed to be much more than just fluff and I brought him to life and he became someone you feel as though you might know in real life. He’s a huge part of why “The Chat Room,” has become such a special story. Sarah’s choice wasn’t an easy one, because she loved both men, she just loved one a little more.

Where can readers find your books?

My books are currently on Amazon:

The Chat Room  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186LYWMQ

Poetry of The Heart http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Heart-Collection-Perfect-Moments-ebook/dp/B018WVGQO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1453784495&sr=1-1&keywords=poetry+of+the+heart+sharon+johnson

Soon, I hope have them on Barnes & Noble, as well as on Kobo and a couple of others. My books are available on e-book, as well as in print. I make sure with each release; both options are available and will continue to do so.

Which authors have captivated you?

Alessandra Tore, Ella James, Georgia Le Carre, JS Cooper, Claire Contreas, Roxy Sloane are some of my favorites. As soon as their books come out, they’re mine. And I’ve been fortunate to become friend with some of them as well.
 
What one writer or book has had the biggest influence on your work, would you say?

There’s not one person or book. As a writer, we all develop our own style or fingerprint as I call it, and no two are alike. I think we all have certain things we enjoy about other authors we love to read. It’s been said, I’m an emotional writer and I can draw pictures with my words. And I feel very blessed I’m able to have the expressiveness which allows me to bring my words and characters to life.

What are you currently reading?

I’m reading Resolution by JS Cooper and it's the third and final book in the series. It’s about a woman and man who have been kidnapped and neither of them know why (or does one of them?) There are secrets about the past, involving affairs, mysterious deaths and money. After reading book one Illusion, I had to wait 6 months to read the second one, called Disillusion and now finally I’m ready for all the questions to be answered.

Where do you read?

I read in the living room on my couch, the pool when it’s warm outside or if I’m on a plane or visiting family, when I have alone time.

How many books do you read a month, would you say?

Since I finished Chat, not nearly as many as I’d like. I write all the time, so that makes it difficult to do both. But I still continue to buy books I plan to read at some point. Since I’m not working on my latest novel full time, I’m finally able to slow down enough to start catching up on some long awaited books. I was reading about 20 a month, until last year.

I do my writing on the couch, usually sitting Indian style. But if I’m out, I’ll write on my phone, or in a note pad I always keep with me, when I’m out.

So how many hours a day can you devote to writing?

I write about 10-12 hours a day. My kids are grown and I have lots of catching up do, since I’m a late bloomer to becoming an author. I love writing and I’m happiest when I’m creating something new, be it a story or poem

Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

I do and I don’t. I know for me, I love writing about everything, and that includes things I may never have done or been a part of; but if the subject intrigues me, I’m like an curious kid and I can’t help myself. There are writers who write amazing books about subjects that aren’t something they’ve ever experienced. Jane Austin for instance, was a single woman who was raised in an era, when men were the only writers. She wrote about epic love and having children. She had a way of bringing amazing characters to life and yet, she never, to my knowledge ever experienced any of the things. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite of everything she’s written. And today, people still read and love her work.

It's a question that many writers have different opinions on.

There are those, who write amazing books about, they know very well and that’s what works best for them. I believe there are exceptions to every almost every rule, because no one is perfect and no two situations are the same.

What kind of challenges do you face when you sit down to write?

Loud noises are very distracting. Sometimes I love to listen to music while I write and other times, it bothers me and I need complete silence. I quit watching TV last year, because it was way too distracting for me to write.

Are you self-employed or do you have another job?

I’m privileged to be able to write full time. I quit my last job after Christmas 2014, about 6 weeks before I knew I’d finish Chat. I plan to continue writing great books that people will look forward to reading. I was always destined to write, it just took me a really long to watch my dream come to fruition.

What has surprised you most about writing?

I’ve been writing since I was 6 years old, so honestly nothing. I’ve never known anything else and it’s always been a constant throughout my life.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

The best thing is being able to creature something from nothing. The Chat Room is a little over 46,000 words in length and I’m astounded it all started with a single word and became an entire story that’s worth reading. When people read my words, be it the novel or my poetry and tell me how enjoyable they are to read, I still get emotional every time, thinking I can’t believe they’re talking about me. It all feels so surreal to me.

And the worst?

The worst thing is when you’re writing a story and you’re trying to figure out what comes next. How will the characters interact and how will it end. I want to write the very best story I can. People have a lot of choices when it comes to buying a book and I want them to be excited about mine. And I don’t want to feel like the reader has been short changed in any way. Even the smallest detail matters. I also tend to write more than I need and have to decide what scenes are best for the story.

What is the most exciting experience you've had as a result of writing?

Publishing “The Chat Room”.

My only dream has been to become a writer and one day an author. Four days before it was finished, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, I was about to be and I cried for 4 days, with a euphoric high I’d never known in my life. It’s one of the reasons the end of Chat, was so much better than I’d planned. I used all those mixed emotions when I wrote the scene, when she knew who she’d finally chosen the man she couldn’t live without; then, the scene where she had to say goodbye to the other man. I had to put myself in both of their shoes. She was going to break the heart of a man who didn’t do anything wrong; she just loved the other man more. And I had to imagine how he’d feel hearing what she was telling him. All those feelings about finishing my book came into play. It’s the moment I realized I’d gone from being a woman who loved to write, to a woman who became a writer

What do you like doing when you aren't writing?

I love to read, walk, go to concerts, go out to eat, bowling, being with friends and listening to music. I used shop a lot, but since I finished my book, I’ve only shopped for fun once. It holds no interest for me anymore

Do you watch TV? If so, what programs?

I quit watching most television last year because it’s too distracting.

If I do watch something, I love NFL football, biographies and real life murder mysteries

Your favourite films?

The Phantom of the Opera, You’ve Got Mail, Air force One, Pride and Prejudice and Giant. My taste in Music, literature, movies and art has always been an eclectic mix.   

Do you own an e-reader?

Yes, my Kindle. I can download all the books I want in under a minute, they’re much less expensive, I can change the font size, take a 1000 books with me when I fly and decide which one I wanna read.

What's your favourite season and why?
 
Fall. I love the changing leaves on the trees; it’s chilly, but not too cold. You can wear sweaters, sweats and snuggle up together in front of the fireplace’ There’s great foods you can only get that time of year. Even in the hustle and bustle of the season, people seem to be a little bit more compassionate and in some respects, they take notice of things they don’t usually make the time for, during the rest of the year. Some of my best memories growing up, happened in the fall.

And lastly, what advice can you give to other writers?

Never give up. One of the things I’ve learned in all my years of writing is  for most writers, writing is in our DNA and the words are a part of our soul. If you really want it bad enough, you’ll find a way to make it happen. I’ve never known a time, when I didn’t write or wasn’t thinking about it when I wasn’t. 

Thank you for agreeing to feature as an author in this series, Sharon.


No comments:

Post a Comment