Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Tuesday 9 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH P.S. WINN




I am delighted to announce that P.S. Winn is the next author in my new series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, likes/dislikes and learn a little more about them.

Please find the full interview here (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account) and do share with your circle of book friends - thank you:


Tell us about your first novel? When did you start writing and why?

I wrote my first novel “Foretold” and published it in October of 2012. I had never tried to write a novel although I wrote poems and short stories. In fact, I had boxes and boxes of them just taking up space in my closet. Shortly before that, my husband was told his health was bad and to quote “Get his affairs in order”. He decided I should be in Montana where I was born and where my family lived. As we packed for a hurried up move, I almost had to leave behind those boxes. We finally found room. But when we got settled I decided I’d like something more permanent for my words and decided to turn my works into books. Since that time I have published 32 books and am working on number 33.

Are you self-published or traditional?

I am self-published. I did send a manuscript once to a traditional publisher, but before the 8 to 10 weeks it took them to get back to me I had finished that book and was working on another, I have the patience of a gnat and don’t feel it is okay to make writers wait in anxious worry while they sort through books.

How many books have you written?

Oh, My Gosh... do you have lots of time?

I have 32 books. I will say I write everything. I have 4 preschool fun rhyming books. I hope everyone will start teaching kids the love of books as young as possible. Kids who read do better in life. I like rhyming text that reads like a song. I have 2 short story collections for young adults and adults to share, they are humorous tall tales. I have 2 more collections of short stories, one a heart touching collection of stories and poems that tackle hard subjects with uplifting messages. The other is a heart stopping collection of paranormal stories. That includes angel, ghost and spirit visitations, although I like to call them angels. 2 humorous comic books about growing old were co-written with my husband. That leaves the other 22 books which are novels. I lean heavily toward the supernatural, which some call science fiction. I also like to write conspiracies and have 4 novels about serial killers. My last novel “Of Jeebies and Journeys” combines supernatural, horror and the spiritual as a man has to cross to the other side to return something to his late wife that was stolen from her by the Jeebies, evil spirits.

Although I write fiction, I do have one novel that is non- fiction and it is probably the most important book I have written. An inventor years ago created a way to burn garbage and other waste with no pollution and was creating energy. He was suppressed and threatened by big oil backed politicians. So, all in all, I write everything. I should have just said that first and taken up less space!

What are you working on now? (Putting aside the chocolate, coffee and reviews!)

I am just over half finished with a new novel, if my characters don’t take over. They did that in my book “Tunnels”, turning a 300 page book into a 600 + page book!  I think I am calling the new book  “Doorways & Dimensions”. It is about Parallel Worlds, another theme that runs through a lot of my books. I am fascinated by thinking there may be a world just next to our own. Like a holographic card, the kind that you look at ad see one picture and the turn to find something totally different. I like to think that’s what worlds are like.

I kind of know the answer to this, but any future projects?

I hope to finish 40 books as I finish my fourth year of being an author. I am a bit OCD, and like everything nice and even. Last year for a Goodreads challenge, I had 797 books read close to the end of the year and had to read 3 more to make an even 800!

Wow! So tell us who is your favourite character of your books and why?

I would have to say Nikole Teresa Anderson in my book “Tunnels”. In spite of challenges she goes through she keeps trying. I also really like the bad guys to write about. They are so much fun and it is easy to get into their characters. There’s usually at least one in every book.

How do you come up with the names for the characters in your stories?

Mostly they just come to me, I think sometimes the characters already know there names. Once in a while I will use a friends' name but change it a little to fit the character. Mostly though, they just pop in my head when I begin the writing.

Where can readers find your work?

http://www.amazon.com/P.-S.-Winn/e/B00E6XAR82/
author.to/PSWinnbooks  www.facebook.com/pswinnbooks www.barnesandnoble.com/c/p.s.-winn  www.goodreads.com/author/show/6580862.P_S_Winn

On twitter you can find me @pswinnauthor I do a lot of tweeting and have just passed having 12,000 followers

That is crazy to me since I just got on there a couple years ago and didn’t even have much to do with computers until 2012 when I wrote the first book!

Have events in your own life made their way into your stories?

A lot. I think when you write, your experiences show through in the stories. They have to I would think because you are shaped by life events and the people you meet.

Which authors have enthralled you? Who do you get your inspiration from?

Definitely Stephen King, Dean Koontz and James Patterson, but I love classics like John Steinbeck  Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens. I read a lot, like I said 800 last year and already 100 this January and have been  amazed by new writers I have found. So many people are very talented. I have to say that readers don’t get enough credit, it is their imaginations that make the books. No people can read a book and walk away with the same feelings or the same pictures in their mind. My readers have been amazing and have left me such great feedback, both in person and in the wonderful reviews.

What book are you currently reading? 

I read two or three a day, so you probably caught me in between books. Although I am planning on reading Stephen Kings book about JFK, which I haven’t had time to pick up yet.

Where do you read mostly?

Anywhere and everywhere. That’s also where I write, which I always do longhand. So, when you see me I will have a notebook and a pen in my hand.

How many books do you read a month, would you say?

At least 50, sometimes a hundred.

Wow! So where do you do your writing?

Everywhere. I write every free moment it seems, before I finish one book I start on another. I think because I have to write longhand. So, when I am typing out one finished, I am writing the new book.

How many hours a day do you write?

It depends, sometimes an hour, and that can be five minutes here and five minutes there until the day is done. I wrote a book in a week when I had the flu.

What challenges do you face when writing? Are you easily distracted?

I am not distracted. I’m the type of person who does things better when I have more than one thing going on at a time. I am really lucky in that or my family would probably disown me, although I do get lost in the writing.

Are you self-employed or do you have another job?

I am only an author right now and hope to stay that way. I worked part time while writing most of the books but have a bad back which doesn’t let me do a lot. Also my husband has bad health and I prefer to be close to home.

What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

The best is telling the story and having people tell you they loved it or that it changed something in their lives, that is the greatest feeling in the world. The worst of course is promoting the books.

What is the most exciting experience you've had as a result of writing?

I don’t know if it’s exciting, but the most touching was a reader telling me her daughter was having a difficult labour and was rushed to the emergency room. The baby’s heartbeat was irregular. The mother had one of my children’s books and she pulled it out and began reading out loud. The baby’s heartbeat steadied and the birth was a success. That makes everything I do worthwhile.

How do you market your work?

Mostly on Facebook and Twitter, I am also on Goodreads. I use my Amazon Author Central page to pot any sales I am having. The best marketing I have found are the wonderful friends and followers on social media who share my books.

What do you like doing when you aren't writing?

I like to draw and I like to keep close tabs on family and friends. I also like the outdoors and walking through parks and people watching.

Do you own an e-reader?

I did, but now I use my kindle cloud reader on the computer. When away from the computer I carry around paperbacks.

Have you attended any writing workshops? Literary events? Local book fairs?

No, in my small town you don't find too much for literary events. My writing workshop is my life. Everything that happens adds experience to my resume and a bit to each story.

Lastly, what advice can you give to other writers?

If you love to write, do it. Don’t worry about selling a million books, that probably won’t happen. But, to get a great, sincere review is almost as magical as sharing your stories to begin with.
   
Thank you, Pam. It was a pleasure to get to know you a little more, and I don't think I know anyone who can write, read and review that much in one month...ever :)





No comments:

Post a Comment