Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Friday 19 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH MERCEDES ROCHELLE




I am delighted to announce that author Mercedes Rochelle features next in the series. As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them.

 
Please find the full interview below (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account).

Please do share with your circle of book friends and leave me a like/comment - thank you.



Tell us about your first novel?

My first novel, HEIR TO A PROPHECY began over thirty years ago. In the early ‘80s I moved to New York to be near the publishing centre of the universe (no kidding). I also needed better libraries than I could find in my home town of St. Louis for my research. At the time, I was accomplished enough to catch the attention of not one but two literary agents, but neither was able to place my historical novel; I don’t think the genre was well enough established at the time. After telling me to cut 200 pages from my masterpiece, the second agent dropped me like a proverbial hot potato, and in disgust I shelved my novel and moved on.  For the next two decades or so I consoled myself with my own business, but I essentially thought I was a failure. Two careers later, I realized why I was so unhappy and decided to try writing again. I blew the dust off my manuscript and gave it another rewrite. Was I in for a rude awakening! Social media? What’s that? If I had stayed with it, who knows where I would be today?




I do like that cover. Are you self-published or traditional?

My first two novels were produced by a co-op publisher, but I intend to self-publish the next one.

Do you have an agent? If so, at what point in your writing career did that happen? 

At the beginning of my writing career, in the early ‘80s, I moved to New York thinking I needed to be nearer the publishing world. Looking back, I see how foolish that was, but at the time I must have thought no one would talk to me if I wasn’t nearby. Even then there was a lot of competition (not like now!) but I managed to interest an agent with my first novel. He invited me to visit his office. Imagine that! A New York agent! I had  these grand visions of a fabulous view of the city and an office you could dance across. Imagine my surprise when he ushered me into a room the size of a closet, piled floor to ceiling with papers and manuscripts. I don’t even think he had a window. It was all very sobering. Still, I was committed so I trusted him with my future. I didn’t think he tried very hard, and after a few rejections he returned my book with a nice note of dismissal. Undeterred, a couple of years later I tried again and landed a second agent, who assured me that nobody would publish a lengthy novel and I would have to cut about 200 pages. I think I cut the heart out of that book (and threw the original away in a fit of pique), but I did what she said and went on to book number two. Alas, my doomed manuscript came back to me in the mail with a curt apology, and I took it very hard. I was only about 30 years old at the time, and I hadn’t developed a thicker skin. That was the end of my experience with literary agents!

I'm trying the traditional route and have received two rejections so far. So I'm thinking hard of a sales pitch, why the story is worth reading and why should I be on their client list.

So how many books have you written?

HEIR TO A PROPHECY is what I would call a “sequel” to Macbeth; History and Destiny compete to bring us the story of Saxons, Normans, and Scotland as seen by the Heir of Banquo. My second novel, GODWINE KINGMAKER is book one of “The Last Great Saxon Earls”. This is a three-book  series; I am just finishing up THE SONS OF GODWINE and hope to have FATAL RIVALRY out in time for the Battle of Hastings anniversary. I believe that Harold and Tostig’s rivalry was directly responsible for Harold’s failure to defend his kingdom against the Normans. But was Tostig such a villain? Perhaps there is more to his story than we originally thought.

Do you start with an outline, plot or just go straight into the story and see where it goes?

Historical fiction gives us the plot already, which really helps because my imagination doesn’t work that way. I can take an existing theme and build upon it, but I can’t seem to fabricate a story out of nothing. But I admit, I’m not very good at making (or following) an outline. So far I haven’t written anything without having immersed myself in the period. At each phase of the book, I sit down with a pile of reference books and sort my way through an event. There are times I only have the sketchiest of suggestions to work from, and can’t quite figure out how to get from point A to point B. Sometimes all the historians repeat the same single sentence. When that happens, I go to the keyboard and start typing. If I am lucky (and I usually am) the most amazing things happen and a character takes charge of the story. If s/he is well developed enough, there is only one way that character is going to act. Once in a while I am completely astounded at a turn of events, or something happens that references a thing I mentioned in passing 30 pages before. Is this my subconsciousness working? I think so! Unfortunately for me, this style of writing demands that my stories take a long part of a character’s life. I haven’t been able to figure out how to extract, for instance, a two-year period and write a story about it. Or one major event. I feel like I’m leaving too much out!

Have events in your own life made their way into your stories?

I don’t think I’ll ever write about today, or even this century. It seems I am fascinated by larger-than-life historical figures, and that cuts me out!  However, maybe that’s not exactly true. I used to work for a family-owned company who were quite dynamic. The father, almost a surrogate for me, was this benign-seeming patriarch who ruled from his big office desk. His eldest son, the handsome one, was genial to all and sundry; he was out there getting the big accounts (being the hero), far removed from the day-to-day aggravations. The second son, the cocky one, was in charge of the warehouse and drove everybody crazy. But he was the most clever even though he was obnoxious. I spent years watching them, and without that observation I wouldn’t have found it so easy to give voices to Godwine and sons.

Is the medieval age your favourite time period?

I absolutely love the Middle Ages, especially the years 1000-1450. It all started when I stumbled across the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) just after my college years. Back then, I thought I didn’t like history so I majored in English Literature. English was not a bad choice for a future writer, but I think a history degree would have served me better! But I digress. The SCA was my first introduction to living history, and I realized in a flash what I had been missing. There was a story behind all those dates and names. It wasn’t a big step from re-enacting to historical fiction then onto the “hard stuff”.  I’m not even sure what brought me to the eleventh century, but I have a sneaking suspicion I was inspired by “The Song of the Shield Wall” which is a long-standing favourite of my old Calontir compatriots. Here’s one of the stanzas that always got my blood going:

Hasten, O house-carls, north to the Danelaw;
Harald Hardrada's come over the sea!
His longships he's laden with baresarks from Norway
To claim Canute's crown and our master to be.
Bitter he'll find here the bite of our spear-points,
Hard ruling Northmen too strong to die old.
We'll grant him six feet - - plus as much as he's taller - -
Of land that the sons of the Saxons will hold!


You can even hear this song on YouTube, a tribute to its staying power. Much as I love the later Middle Ages, I’ve never heard anything that stirred me like this. And so I had to learn what it was all about! Before I knew it I was immersed in Harold Godwineson’s world.

About ten years ago I was very interested in doing a story about a sort of Hereward the Wake character, but I was told that ''no one would be interested in that era''. So more fool me I stopped my writing. Now I realise  some people who think they know what readers want - DO NOT.

Are there any other historical periods that interest you?

I’m afraid that is a challenge! Colleen McCullough inspired me to read more on Ancient Rome. I would dearly love to write a novel about Richard II. Alexandre Dumas inspired me to read more on 17th century France (and I even learned to fence when I first moved to New York). Toulouse Lautrec inspired me to learn more about La Belle Epoque. I am obsessed with Napoleon Bonaparte. And recently, I have become enamoured with the life and times of William Shakespeare. Can I write a novel about any and all of these eras? Can you imagine the research involved? Would a reader jump around from century to century with the same author? Time will tell!

Anything in the works?

I’m thinking of going even farther back in the eleventh century and tackling the story of Thorkell the Tall, one of Canute’s early supporters and Jarl of East Anglia in 1017. He was originally a Danish raider, commander of the Jomvikings who later signed up with Aethelred the Unready against Sweyn Forkbeard (though again, I think there’s more to this story than meets the eye). After Sweyn’s death, a purge of Danish nobles sent an irate Thorkell back to Denmark, and he returned to England at Canute’s side. However, his relationship with Canute was far from smooth. Looks like a lot of adventures here!

Interesting! So who is your favourite character of your books and why?

I love Earl Godwine and would like to set the record straight; he had many detractors who have tried to make him look like a treacherous and greedy villain. Of course he was an opportunist. Who wasn’t?

How do you come up with the names of your characters? Use records? Other chronicles?

Most of my characters are actual historical people (or possibly apocryphal, but with real names). The few made-up characters come out of baby-names books!

Where can readers find your books?

They are available in both Paperback and eBook, including Kindle and Nook.

Who publishes your body of work?

My first two books were published by Top Hat Books, an imprint of John Hunt Publishing. For most of their writers John Hunt is a co-op publisher. For my upcoming novel, I have decided to go Indie.

Where do you do your writing?

I have two computers: my desktop for my business and my laptop (standing up) for my writing. They are side-by-side in my loft (I live in a log home). Hemingway was right! Standing up to write gets the juices flowing.

Oh, I can't do that! I do pace a bit and hover over maps. Does that count? Ok, how many hours a day do you write?

I try to write about 2 hours a day in late afternoon.  Can’t give up my day job! (I sell Real Estate)

Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

Not at all. What I know is boring! What I read about is exciting.

Nice answer! What challenges do you face when you're writing?

I love writing Historical Fiction because I cannot come up with an original plot to save my life. If I had to make up pretend people and conjure up a pretend story, I would be absolutely flummoxed. I know; I’ve tried it. Whereas I can take a skeleton of an event (we don’t get much more from 1000 years ago) and put flesh on it. What I love best is the research… that AHA moment when a stray sentence in a source suddenly ties everything together.

For instance… when researching HEIR TO A PROPHECY I discovered an incredibly obscure source that outlined the life of my hero Walter, ancestor to the Royal Stewarts. This unlikely scenario sent Walter to Brittany where he married the daughter of Count Alain le Rouge and fought on the Norman side at the Battle of Hastings. At the time, I had no clue who this Alain was. Imagine my surprise to discover that my Breton Count eventually became the Earl of Richmond and one of the wealthiest men in England!  More to the point, I recently discovered that in William Rufus’ time, King Malcolm III wanted to marry his daughter to Count Alain (though Rufus refused permission). How did that come about? Could it be that Malcolm met Alain because Walter brought his bride (Alain’s daughter) to live in Scotland? Pure conjecture on my part, but it certainly made sense to me! I learned this titbit just in time to include it in the novel…several years after my original research.

What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

I’m not very confident yet, and it doesn’t take much to feel inadequate. I need to worry less about being successful and concentrate more on discipline. So far, the best reward is in the “doing”.

I know the feeling. What is the most exciting experience you've had as a result of writing?

My happiest days were spent in the basement of Princeton Library blowing the dust off books that hadn’t been touched in years. Thanks to the internet I don’t do that anymore, but on the other hand I have access to material I wouldn’t have dreamed of in those days. I also gave myself the pleasure of going to Scotland and researching the sites from my first book, though in the late ‘80s places  were a lot harder to locate.

Which authors have left you spellbound?

I first discovered Historical Fiction reading Alexandre Dumas and Sir Walter Scott. It was a whole new world for me! I spent my college years studying the 19th century novel, then discovered Arthur Conan Doyle. I was so thrilled to stumble across SIR NIGEL and THE WHITE COMPANY in a used bookstore. This was my introduction to the Hundred Years War and I never looked back.

When I finally jumped to the 20th century, I became enamoured with Sharon Penman and Colleen McCullough, and more recently Bernard Cornwell, of course!

What writer or book has had the biggest influence on your work?

To this day I think Dumas is as close to perfect as you will get. His characters are delightful and his action is non-stop. I learned French just so I could read him in the original language.

Where do you read mostly?

I read my fiction at night before bedtime and my non-fiction in the morning with my coffee in bed!

How many books do you read a month, would you say?

I’m a slow reader: 3 or 4 per month.

Do you have any *must see* TV programmes?

I love documentaries, especially about Art and History. At the beginning of my career, I published three Art Indexes by Subject (Historical Art Index, Mythology and The Classical World Index, and Post-Biblical Saints Art Index). Can you say self-taught? I’m in love with Art and can’t get enough of it.

And your favourite films...?

Hands-down, I love “The Lion In Winter”. I hate to admit it, but I loved “Gladiator”. I will always watch a period film whenever possible, even if the story is a stretch.

What's your favourite season and why?

I love late Spring the best; watching flowers come to life. I enjoy my garden and get all excited every planting season.

And the last question: what advice can you give to other writers?

I can only speak from my own experience. If you need to take time off, don’t be afraid to do so. My hiatus was a little ridiculous, but when I did come back, I was so invigorated it was almost worth it. If I had forced myself to keep writing, I may have burned out. When I did get serious again, I was much more mature, better read, and I had a much thicker skin. Failure will do that to you; it probably makes you stronger than success.


Thank you, Mercedes, it has been an absolute pleasure to talk to you.

To connect with Mercedes please click on the links below:


 
Twitter: @authorRochelle
 
 













No comments:

Post a Comment