Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Friday 5 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH PAM LECKY






I am delighted to announce that Pam Lecky is the next author in my new series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, likes/dislikes and learn a little more about them.

Pam has written the historical novel THE BOWES INHERITANCE.

Dublin 1882: When determined but impoverished Louisa Campbell inherits a large estate in the north of England, from an uncle she didn't even know existed, it appears to be the answer to her prayers. Her younger sister, Eleanor, is gravely ill, and believing that the country air will benefit her, they decide to take up residence at Bowes Farm, situated on the Cumberland coast. However, they soon realise that all they have inherited is trouble. Their uncle had managed to alienate almost everyone in the area and worst of all, was suspected of being a Fenian activist. His reputation leaves Louisa and Eleanor battling to gain acceptance in polite society, especially with Nicholas Maxwell, their handsome neighbour and local magistrate. His father was cheated out of the farm during a card game fifteen years before and he is determined to get the property back. Louisa unearths secrets from their family’s past that threaten their future while the spectre of their mysterious benefactor overshadows everything. When a Fenian bombing campaign comes close to home, Louisa finds herself a chief suspect and must fight to clear her name. She must dig deep to find the courage to solve the mysteries that Bowes Farm holds before their lives are destroyed. And most importantly of all, will she be able to finally trust and love the man who is surely her sworn enemy?

Please find the full interview here (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account) and do share with your circle of book friends - thank you:


I read that when you were young your father gave you the complete works of Jane Austen.  Wow-what a gift! Tell us about that and how did that shape your future interest in reading and writing?

I was already an avid reader by then. My father had brought me to our local library when I was about 6 or 7 (I think he was fed up being constantly asked to buy me more books!). Being an only child I found reading a great way to entertain myself and escape to other worlds. The Austen gift was significant in that it confirmed my love of classical literature and the 19th century world. I also studied Pride and Prejudice for a state exam soon afterwards. I had a fantastic English teacher who really made it all come alive for me. After that I always found myself straying to the literature or historical fiction section of the library or bookshop. I have a deep love of this period of history – a time of extraordinary change in every sphere of life. Coupled with an obsession with 19th and early 20th century dress and architecture, it was inevitable that when I did decide to write, there was only one genre I would feel most comfortable in.

Over the years I have scoured bookshops and Amazon for great historical fiction. However, the quality can vary considerably and it was on finishing one particularly disappointing book that I suddenly thought to myself that I could have come up with a better ending. After my third child was born I decided to have a go. That novel will be unlikely to see the light of day but I did complete it. That process started something and I gradually realised that I needed to take it further.

Which other authors have enthralled you?

How long do we have? My top authors would be Elizabeth Gaskell, Maria Edgeworth, and Georgette Heyer for literature/historical fiction and Dorothy L. Sayers, P.D. James and Elizabeth George in the crime genre. As you can probably guess, I am also a bit of a crime fan!

Which writer has had the biggest influence on your work?

Undoubtedly Heyer, though I do not write in the Regency period. I read her biography and was fascinated by her research methods. That has influenced my own love of authentic detail. I enjoy research and often have to pull myself back from it to actually write. However, I am a firm believer that it is the subtle details in a story that best convey this. Otherwise your work can look like an historical thesis and not an entertaining story. The exception to be this would be biographical historical fiction but readers are savvy enough to tell the difference. Historical detail should enhance, not swamp, your narrative. This is one reason that I tend to avoid real historical characters in my books – I prefer historical events to weave away in the background. The story should be able to stand up on its own even if you strip away the historical references. If you don’t have a strong plot and well-developed characters you probably shouldn’t be writing in this genre.

What book are your currently reading?

I am about to start ‘Post-Famine Ireland: Social Structure’ by Desmond Keenan. I am currently researching this period as my next novel is set in Ireland, c. 1895, and I am trying to glean as much background information and history as I can. I have also just finished The Irish RM stories by Somerville and Ross, again for research but also because I love the style of the writing – they were excellent story tellers and there is a lot of humour in the books. My TBR pile is quite large at the moment – near the top is ‘Ludwika’ by Christoph Fischer (WWII novel) and a collection of short stories by Mary Grand called ‘Catching the Light’.

I read some of Desmond's writing when researching for my novella LIBERTY OR DEATH. Irish history is extremely fascinating and its such a rich, beautiful country full of wonderful people. Where do you read mostly?

It’s difficult to find time but usually on my commute home from work on the train. If a book really grabs me I can be found reading anywhere, any time!

My thoughts exactly! So where do you do your writing?

I am lucky enough to have a study. It’s nice and quiet and I usually have only the dog and cat for company.

Tell us about your first novel? When did you start?

The original premise was a young woman inheriting a property and having to fight to keep it. It had a beginning, a middle and an end (always a good thing!), but there was no flesh to its bones. I knew I wanted it to have an Irish flavour, but with a new angle perhaps. I have always been fascinated by the complex relationship between the Irish Ascendency and their British counterparts and that, and a wrangle over land, seemed a good place to start. It was only as I started to research, that the story took on a life of its own. Sub-plots popped up, often influenced by real events that I read about from old newspapers, books and on-line blogs. What started out primarily as a love story became tangled up in Irish history, Fenians and the English Lake District! THE BOWES INHERITANCE was born.

I started it in 2013 and finished the first draft in about 6 months. It took 2 years to finally publish as there were gaps of time when I was unsure what to do next/what direction to take. Thankfully, my editor was very encouraging and gave me the confidence to finally go for it.

I am very lucky in that the book has been very well received, is getting great reviews and was even long-listed for the Historical Novel Society 2016 Indie Award. I heard a few weeks ago that it had received an Honourable Mention at the London Book Festival. This has been a huge boost to my confidence and I am more determined than ever to keep writing.

That's brilliant news, Pam! So are you self-published or traditional?

Self-published and proud of it!

And who is your favourite character from your book and why?

Louisa in THE BOWES INHERITANCE is a very strong and determined character. She faces a lot of trials in her young life and has the guts to overcome them. There are echoes of me in her, though she handles what life throws at her far better than I ever did!

Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

Hmmm – I’m actually not sure. Yes it is safer and probably easier to write about what you know or love best. But are you stretching yourself as a writer if that is all you do? Mind you, if your fans love it there is enormous pressure on you to keep writing the same kind of story. That’s the beauty of self-publishing; you are free to experiment and tell the stories you want to tell. My next book will be more of a crime novel and possibly a lot darker than THE BOWES INHERITANCE.
 
What challenges do you face when writing? Are you easily distracted? Not enough time?

I am a busy working mum with three kids. Finding time to sit down (when I’m not tired) and write can be a challenge. Also, because I am self-published I have to spend a lot of time promoting my book on social media. This can suck all of the free hours from your day.
As an author are you self-employed or do you have another job?
My husband is very supportive and I am lucky in that I have been able to reduce my hours and work part-time. I had hoped that this would give me more time to write but as often as not, something always comes along to distract.

What has surprised you most about writing?

I hadn’t realised how important it is for your own self-development to break out of your comfort zone. The urge to write had always been there and I had dabbled with poetry as a teenager. But overall, I had suppressed it and let life get in the way. Writing has given me a sense of inner peace and fulfilment like fitting the final piece in a jig-saw.

What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

The best is getting all of those characters finally down on paper – they have been in my head for years, clamouring to get out!

The worst is that I find it frustrating that I can’t write full-time; that would be a dream come true.

How do you market your books?


I was a complete novice and scared to death of the whole marketing thing. I barely knew where to start so my adventure in promotion has been a steep learning curve! I have tried lots of different things – some have worked, others didn’t.

As I am self-published my book is only available as a print on demand (POD) paperback or ebook on Amazon.  In the future, I may try other platforms as well but for now, I don’t have the advantage of people randomly browsing in a book shop and finding my book. I have to use social media to promote.

I recently did a blog post on this subject which goes into great depth on this subject.  http://pamlecky.com/2016/01/21/how-to-market-your-self-published-book/

But the methods that have been most successful for me have been a) enrolling my ebook in KDP Select and doing week long countdown deals, and b) signed book giveaways on Goodreads.
 
There are mixed thoughts on KDP. So as a self-published author, have you tried the traditional route?

Yes, but I sent my manuscript out far too soon and burnt my bridges; nothing back but polite rejections. It was probably the best thing for me because at that stage I sought advice and followed it. I found an editor and found out as much as I could about the whole publishing business. Self-publishing had always been my Plan B, but the more I learnt about it the more it appealed to me. I haven’t looked back since. It suits me perfectly – probably because I am a control freak. I couldn’t bear not making the decisions. I heard recently about a traditionally published author who was shown 4 or 5 cover options – she picked one and they just went ahead with the one they wanted! That would kill me.
 
Do you own an e-reader?

I have had a Kindle for about 5 years  - recently upgraded to a Paperwhite. I find them fantastic – it’s always in my bag.
 
Have you attended any writing courses or conventions, and if so, what are your thoughts about them?

I have attended Book Festivals – they are a great way to network and get a feel for the industry.

Luckily, I attended a Self-Publishing Conference in The Irish Writers Centre – that was fantastic and I learnt so much. It was the pivotal day that I decided to go for it.

Through Facebook I have found some fantastic groups, one of which is the Historical Novel Society. It has members all over the world and is a great place to connect.  They hold an annual conference and I am going to this year’s event in Oxford. It will be fun to meet up with all of those historical fiction authors I know on FB and finally meet them in the flesh. Again, I am hoping that it will be a chance to network and perhaps promote my book. I understand there will be opportunities to pitch to agents even though I don’t think that is the way for me to go while I still work part-time. It will be interesting to see how it works out. Worst case I love Oxford and look forward to visiting it again!

What do you like doing when you aren't writing?

I love to read and listen to music and I am a keen gardener. I studied horticulture with the RHS and at one time had planned to go into garden design. The recession put pay to that. I find working in my garden very relaxing which often helps me if I am suffering from the dreaded writer’s block! I also love photography.

Do you watch TV? If so, what programmes?

I don’t watch a huge amount compared to years ago. When I was studying at night I had to cut it back drastically and just never went back. However, my kids have been at me to get Netflix and I finally succumbed. Now I am totally addicted to The Good Wife – great story and super writing. I am also a huge fan of Inspector Montalbano on the BBC. Obviously, any historical dramas will be watched in my house!

What's your favourite season and why?

Autumn – the colours and the scents and above all the nature of autumnal light. There is something melancholy about this time of year which appeals to me (I don’t know why!). I think there is a gothic novel in me trying to get out!

Last question: what advice can you give to other writers?

Believe in yourself, trust your instincts and listen to your editor. Not everyone will like what you write and that is perfectly ok; the world would be very dull if they did.


Thank you for agreeing to feature as an author in this series, Pam.

To connect with Pam please click on the below links:

Facebook: Facebook
Twitter: Twitter
Blog/Website: www.pamlecky.com
Goodreads:  Goodreads
Amazon: Amazon UK






No comments:

Post a Comment