Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Thursday 4 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH SEAN MACCOTTER




I am delighted to announce that Sean MacCotter is the next author in my new series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, likes/dislikes and learn a little more about them.

Sean has started an exciting new trilogy. THE KEY, A Crusader’s Story, follows Ralph de Mortimer on his great adventure, his frequent heroism and his struggles to reconcile his commitments to his Order, his King and his woman. The book is filled with battles, shipwrecks, intrigue and survival. It paints a vivid picture of the life of a soldier of God during one of the most tumultuous times in history.

Please find the full interview here (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account) and do share with your circle of book friends - thank you:


Is the medieval age your favourite time period?
Medieval is one of my favourites, but not the only one.  My second book is set in the 17th century Age of Discovery, and my third in process is in the 1920’s.  Historically, I’m interested in how events and people fit together more than any single place or time.

Tell us about your first novel? When did you start writing and why?
My first novel, THE KEY, was published on Amazon in June, 2015.  Prior to that I had written instructional and marketing materials for my employers, and historical narratives for family members.  After I retired my family encouraged me to try writing something for a wider audience and THE KEY was the result.  I found myself with the time to dedicate to writing a full-length novel, combining my love for history and a bit of talent for telling stories.

Have you *secured* a literary agent?
No agent yet. I’m still taking a cautious approach and self publishing e-books now.  When I’m ready, and I think the world is ready for me, I’ll explore options.  An effective agent would certainly be helpful.  So far, stories from my friends who have agents have led me to believe finding an effective one is no easy task.

Are you self-published or traditional?
I’m self-published.  Before I began my first novel, I made a personal commitment to keep my expenses to a minimum until I’d tested the market acceptance for my “product”.  If readers were interested in what I produced, I would consider printing and finding a publisher.  If not, I’d write to satisfy myself and not burden the world with junk.

How many books have you written?
To date, I’ve written two books, THE KEY and THE GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER. They are historical fiction/mystery/adventures and  comprise the first parts of a trilogy.
THE KEY is set in the 12th century period before and during the Third Crusade.  The story follows two Templar knights who are among the personal guard of Richard the Lion Heart from the king’s rise to power, through his victorious crusade and during the time of his imprisonment.  All the while, the two knights protect the secret of THE KEY.

The second book in the trilogy, THE GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER, published in late November, 2015, focuses on An English adventurer who carries the Key with him to the Province of Maryland in the mid-1600’s.  Possessing the secret awakens forces beyond his comprehension who would take it from him by any means.  The settings are real and many of the characters are the very people who ruled Maryland during very turbulent times.

What are you working on now?
I’m currently researching and writing the third book in THE KEY trilogy.  As yet it remains un-named.  I’ll get around to giving it a label when I am nearer revealing it to the world.

It brings THE KEY into the 20th Century and closes a circle that began more than 2500 years earlier.  All I’ll say about the setting and characters is they aren’t the same as I created before.  But the adventure continues, and the mystery is solved . . . or maybe not.  I’ve still not decided how the last chapter turns out.
Any future projects?

I’m focused on finishing the current book right now. 
After I finish THE KEY Trilogy in e-book format, assuming anyone likes the stories I tell, I plan to revisit them and bring out second editions in print. 

I keep a notebook of more ideas and random mental meanderings of future projects, but nothing definite at the moment. 
Do you start with an outline, plot or just go straight into the story and see where it goes?

I begin with a plot idea, then an outline, then characters/locations/pertinent equipment, then write.  I update all my ‘guides’ throughout.  I’ve found a spreadsheet with timelines and characters helps me keep things in order. 
Who is your favourite character of your books and why?

Ralph de Mortimer, the young knight Templar in The Key begins life as a squire blinded by the tales glorious deeds in the Holy Land spun by old knights who have been retired.  He matures, being involved in several of the most important but little known events in medieval history.  He struggles with his pledge to the Church, his worldly desires, and his responsibility to his King . . . and his vow to protect the secret of the Key. 
THE GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER is a minor English gentleman who leaves England behind to seek his fortune in the New World.  He lands in the Province of Maryland with a butler, a ring, title to a  piece of wilderness land, and The Key . . . and a job he didn’t wish for as a spy for the Governor in a conflict he didn’t understand. 

How do you come up with the names of your characters?
Interesting question.  The main characters in my first two books are historical, as are most of their supporting cast.  Some of the minor characters I named for typical names of people in the same locale/time period/class.  In one case, a character, initial simply referred to as ‘the sergeant’ grew in importance throughout the book and I had a contest among readers to give him a name in a second edition.

My current main character has a fictional name I selected to evoke a sense of adventure.  He’s surrounded by a group of other purely fictional characters and historical chracters present during the events in the story.
Have events in your own life made their way into your books?

Yes, and the events of my family and friends.  I think we all see the world through our own lens and filter no matter how much we attempt to step out of our own shadows.
Where can readers find your books?

Both books are currently available for the Kindle at Amazon.
In U.S. http://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Adventurer-Key-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0187Z78UE

In U.K. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gentleman-Adventurer-Key-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0187Z78UE
Which authors have enthralled you?

Looking around my office/library I find myself surrounded by non-fiction history – my first love – rather than the collected works of any particular author with one exception.  I read most of Shakespeare’s non-comedies before I was twelve years old. Not because I was a child prodigy, but due to my spending summers in a strange city with a grandmother in whose collection I found the bard’s work the least intimidating.  Since then, I’ve reread everything attributed to him multiple times as he paints pictures of people and places with words better than anyone else I’ve read.
What writer or book has had the biggest influence on your work?

See the above.  Henry V is my favourite. I lived in England near Canterbury, with friends who actually lived in castles. Soon after World War II the imagery was clear and the English Davids defeating foreign Goliaths struck a chord.
What book are you currently reading? Why that one and what it's about?

I’m reading nothing but research material for my current book at the moment.  I’m pretty single-focused when I’m working. TV is OK because I don’t get too involved, but books distract me.
Where do you read mostly?

I read research materials in my office or where records are located if I have to track things down.
How many books do you read a month, would you say?

When I’m not writing, 2-3 books a month.  As I said before, while I’m researching/writing I’ll refer to 10-20 sources a day, some from my own books, some on the internet, others on location.
Where do you do your writing?

I have an office/library in my home where I do all my writing.  I carry a notebook with me to capture any brilliant thoughts that force their way into my brain . . . it stays pretty empty.  Since my works are heavily historical, I need computers (2) to keep facts organized and accessible, and loads of shelf space and file cabinets to keep paper from burying me.
How many hours a day do you write?

I try to “write” at least two hours per day at least five days per week.  When I’m digging into unfamiliar ground I might well stay at it all day.  But I try to put something on paper at least two hours per work day.
Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

Absolutely not.  How boring would that be?  If I’m not learning something new every day I’m not having fun.  When I read ‘formula’ writers I begin to snore after the first couple of books.
My books so far have bases in facts, and include people I know (in some cases my own distant relatives), but my joy is in the digging and discovery of the overlooked important titbits of history that turn the world.  I write to bring that joy to my readers.

What challenges do you face when writing? Are you easily distracted?
I occasionally get ‘blocked’ like every other writer, but if I force myself to put words on paper I usually get going again.  Infrequently, I’ll write a character into a corner they can’t get out of or which is simply too improbable and I’ll have to tear out a chapter or two and rethink the action.

My family knows to stay away when my office door is closed – bless them.  I don’t carry a phone when I’m writing and I don’t look at iPads/e-mails/facebooks and the other inventions the devil created to lead good people down the road to perdition.
As an author are you self-employed or do you have another job?

Retired. Previous work life as a naval aviator, political consultant (that’s Washington, D.C. codespeak for hired mercenary), government executive (that’s Washington, D.C. codespeak for the payoff for being a successful hired mercenary), tax and accounting manager, and youth athletic coach (the most rewarding). 
What has surprised you most about writing?

It’s easier than I thought it would be. The stories are inside me shoving my fingers around the keyboard.
What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

Nothing is bad about being a writer.
The author thing is another matter.  I’ve spent more than 30 years marketing other people’s ‘stuff’ in one form or another.  I’d really prefer to not have to spend time in that world anymore.

What is the most exciting experience you've had as a result of writing?
The first five star review!  Somebody actually paid for one of my books, liked it, and told the world about it. How cool is that!

How do you market your books?
Facebook, goodreads, e-mails to a pretty extensive list of contacts.

I don’t do face-to-face events yet, as my books are only available in e-book format; i.e. nothing to put into someone’s hand.  I’ll begin some events this coming summer when/if I publish on paper.
What do you like doing when you aren't writing?

Travelling, eating interesting dishes, cooking, watching TV (see below)
Have you attended any writing courses? If so, did they help?

I’ve recently attended courses on self-publishing and marketing self-published books.  I took several writing courses in college a couple of centuries ago.
Do you own an e-reader?

Kindle on iPad
Do you listen to audiobooks?

I used to when I travelled by road frequently for long distances.  Not so much nowadays.
Lastly, what advice can you give to other writers?

Write.  Then write some more.  Write because you have a story to tell and want at least one other person to hear it.  Write because you have a story to tell and are getting old like me and are afraid you’ll forget it if you don’t put it on paper.


Thank you, Sean, it was a pleasure to speak to you and good luck with your epic trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment