Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Thursday 18 February 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT WITH MARTIN LAKE




I am delighted to announce that author Martin Lake features next in the series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them.
 
Please find the full interview below (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account).

Please do share with your circle of book friends and leave me a like/comment - thank you.






Tell us about your first novel? When did you start writing and why?

I wrote my first historical novel when I woke up early one morning and realised that as I loved writing and history I should combine the two. It was about an Elizabethan spy and is still unpublished. The first novel I published is The Flame of Resistance. I always felt that the Norman invasion was a traumatic, destructive event for ordinary English people and when I came across shadowy references that Edgar, the young heir to the throne, had actually been proclaimed King after Harold’s death at Hastings I thought I’d investigate. I realised that here was a story which resonated with me. I wrote it over many years, taking each chapter to a writing group I attended. Instant audience and instant feedback.

I'm looking out for your Elizabethan story and I know a great deal many readers will do too - so hurry up and release it! :)

Looking at your body of work, is the Anglo-Saxon era your favourite time period? 

Yes. In fact it's probably my favourite

How many books have you written?

There are now four in my The Lost King series: The Flame of Resistance, Triumph and Catastrophe, Blood of Ironside and In Search of Glory. I think there will be two or three more in the series.
The Artful Dodger is about the young villain’s life after being transported to Australia. Outcasts is about the fate of the commoners who were knighted to lead the defence of Jerusalem against Saladin, The Long War for England concerns Alfred the Great’s wars against the Danes.
And I have two Tudor novels, A Love Most Dangerous and Very Like a Queen, about a fictional mistress of Henry VIII.

What are you working on now?

Like Marty McFly I’m going back in time, to Crete of four thousand years ago.

You have a DeLorean? Ok, any future projects in mind?

I want to continue the life of Edgar with another two or three novels. My book about Alfred the Great will continue to include his daughter and son’s wars and I’m planning the follow up to Outcasts. Then I’m going to have a go at something lighter.

Going back to your writing, do you start with an outline, a plot or just go straight into the story and see where it goes?

I start by listing all the historical events that took place in the period of the novel, then seeing which are relevant to my story. I do a very limited outline of each chapter saying what happens. I do this on Scrivener. I'm not patient enough to write long outlines and even if I did I'd either lose or ignore them. But the outline I do provides the spine of the story. But I always find new nuggets of research which alter the flow of the story, or new characters, or existing characters who insist on doing certain things I hadn't intended or planned for.

My character Alice Petherton who is mistress to Henry VIII, started as one sentence and then evolved in front of my eyes. Very exciting.

Who is your favourite character of your books?

This is tough, it’s like asking a father to name his favourite child. I think I’d have to say Godwin, who is Edgar’s best friend, because of his loyalty, his honesty and his sense of humour under difficult circumstances. But I’d like to add a woman as well, Mrs Bullmore in The Artful Dodger. She’s hard and soft, and immensely likeable.

Where can readers find your books?

On Amazon. I think some paperbacks are available in bookstores in America.

Do you have a literary agent?

No. I gave up seeking one many years ago and don't regret doing so.

Who publishes your body of work?

I self-publish the majority of my works through Kindle Direct Publishing and CreateSpace. Two of my novels, A Love Most Dangerous and Very Like a Queen are published by Lake Union Publishing, one of the Amazon imprints.

How do you come up with the names of your characters? Council rolls? Historical records?

Many are real people so that makes life easier. Then I take great pains to make sure that the name is historically authentic, that it is not similar to the names of other characters in the book, that it sounds right and that in someway it captures the personality of the character. I have also given some of the names of my family and friends to minor characters. (Minor to make sure that the name does not infringe the requirements I list above.)

Where do you do your writing?


We’ve just moved apartment so I write at a desk in the corner of the living room. When I’m editing on a dead-line I go across the road to the library. My favourite place to edit was in a room which is part of the villa Katherine Mansfield lived in. Quiet and secluded and somehow haunted by her.

How many hours a day do you write?

I get up early – between 5 and 6 am and write for about three or four hours max.

Do you agree with the statement: write about what you know?

To some extent. But I’ve never been in a shield wall or in Henry VIII’s bed and it hasn’t stopped me writing about either of these things. Maybe it’s better to say: write about what fascinates you and what you can best connect with.

What has surprised you most about writing?

Where ideas come from. A chance remark, a character who grows a life of his or her own, a doodle of an idea which becomes a full-blown novel.

What are the best and worst things about being a writer?

Everything about it is wonderful. To be able to create new landscapes, bring people to the page, act as casting director, dialogue coach, producer and director all in my living room. I do get disappointed when something isn’t working but I know that I can just sit down and try to fix it. Someone once said that the best thing about being a writer is that you can do it anywhere which is also pretty great. (If any of your readers know who said this please let me know as I can’t remember.)

What is the most exciting experience you've had as a result of writing? Perhaps in research?

Discovering Alice Petherton, the mistress of Henry VIII. Never thought I’d write a first-person novel from the point of view of a young woman. And, as a result of this, being published by Lake Union Publishing.

How do you go about marketing your books?

I do the usual things when a book’s just come out: Facebook, Twitter and my mailing list. However, I suspect that the most important thing is to write the best book I can, and then another and then another. And to learn from them.

What do you like doing when you aren't writing?

Talking with friends, exploring France where I’ve lived for four years and reading.

Have you attended any writing courses?

The first writing course I experienced was one I taught on. I learnt a lot. Then I went on an adult evening class course which evolved into the writing group I mentioned earlier. I also did an online course with Stephen Carver at the University of East Anglia. The combination of looking at my own writing and the theoretical framework of the UEA course were hugely helpful. I really miss my group and am desperate to try to find or start another one.

Have events in your own life made their way into your books?

Not really, although I'm sure that some of my characters are as I'd like to be.

Can you tell us which authors have enthralled you?

Tolkien, George MacDonald Fraser, Rosemary Sutcliff, James Joyce, Isaac Asimov.

Is there a particular writer or perhaps a book that has had the biggest influence on you?

I suspect that deep down it’s a childhood favourite, Henry Treece, who wrote about the Vikings. But I’m completely awestruck by George MacDonald Fraser’s Flashman novels and aspire to make mine as historically authentic and as entertaining. Flashman is a wonderful creation and the books are crammed with marvellous characters, many of them real historical figures. This is how to write historical fiction.

Agreed, I started reading G.M.F's work a few years ago and they are fabulous. What book are you currently reading?

I’m currently reading Gladstone by Roy Hattersley. I suspect I’d dislike spending any time with Gladstone, can’t imagine a light lunch with him for example. Yet he was a giant with a great and noble heart. It’s a fascinating combination. I’ve just remembered he features in The Artful Dodger.
In fiction I’m going to re-read Matthew Harffy’s second novel, The Cross and the Curse. Matthew really captures the times he writes about and is an enthralling story-teller. I think he’s one of the most exciting writers around.

I've read Matthew's debut and I agree. How many books do you get to read a month?

Not enough. Probably four to six.

What's your favourite season and why?

Spring, because of the promise. And it’s not too hot here – like a glorious English summer.
 
Lastly, what advice can you give to other writers?

Write what you love and enjoy.

And spend time each day at your desk whether you feel like it or not.



Thank you, Martin, it has been an absolute pleasure to talk to you.

To connect with Martin please click on the links below:


martinlakewriting.wordpress.com

To subscribe to Martin's new releases mailing list please click below:
http://eepurl.com/DTnhb

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MartinLakeWriting
Twitter: @martinlake14

amazon.com/author/martinlake               









 





















2 comments:

  1. It's always nice to learn more about writer friends and their work. Thanks for sharing, Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to learn more about writer friends and their work. Thanks for sharing, Martin!

    ReplyDelete